Old 11-12-2013, 03:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Summer in the sand

Billy wrote:
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Cha...l%20Myths_file
s/Myths/Compost%20overdose.pdf
Ideal soils, from a fertility standpoint, are generally defined as
containing no more than 5% OM by weight or 10% by volume

bah! humbug!

some plants grow great in straight organic compost or
high organic content soils. squash, tomatoes, potatoes,
melons to name a few.

the squash we had growing this past season were planted
on top of a heap of rotting wood that was layered with a
few inches of dirt between the layers. i was hoping for
mushrooms, but it turned out too weedy and Ma decided to
cover it with carpeting (several layers) to smother the
weeds and then we cut small holes through the carpeting
and planted squash. by the end of summer we had stems
over 3 inches across and plants ranging out 20-30ft from
the holes (this was obviously not a water limited planting).

a few of the other squash plants i grew were sited on
top of gardens where 2/3rds to 3/4ths of the area below
the plant was taken up by shredded wood or bark (down
several feet). at first they grew slowly, but as the
season went on they picked up and fruited well. we had a
cold/cloudy month of June so was it that which stopped
them from growing faster or the competition for nutrients
from the decaying organic material? i couldn't say for
sure, but they did fine and produced. that is all i can
ask of a garden plant.

cheers and etc. hope y'all aren't freezing...

songbird