Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My garden looks so bare

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:17:35 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Even earlier is Viburnum fragrans (a.k.a. farrerii) and some other
viburnums. Mine is out now.

Mine too, (I think that's what it's called anyway; definitely a
viburnum), and it goes until spring, flowering whenever there's a slight
thaw. Also Viburnum tinus is nice.

Cornus alba is nice although our main one hasn't gone very red yet. Some
of the Cornus contraversa have attractive stems (Candlelight and Winter
Orange in particular). Cotoneaster lacteus is laden with berries. The
Callicarpa is usually pretty this time of year but it didn't set flowers
this year, so no berries now.

There are various red barked maples (rubescens, some palmatums, x
conspicuum) that are showing well now as well as the many snake barked
maples (tegmentosum, pensylvaticum, davidii, callipes, forrestii,
rufinerve, grosserii etc) which are beautiful and changeable throughout
the winter and spring.

Also a chance to enjoy the architecture of the trees...

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy