Old 11-12-2013, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Summer in the sand

Billy wrote:
In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
http://puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Cha...l%20Myths_file
s/Myths/Compost%20overdose.pdf
Ideal soils, from a fertility standpoint, are generally defined as
containing no more than 5% OM by weight or 10% by volume

bah! humbug!

You seem to be in a cranky mood. Obviously, you're not a snow bird.
The OM guide line isn't mine, so I gave its provenance. Somewhere in
her writings, Ms. Chalker-Scott notes that when you have too much
organic material in the soil, it will pollute ground water in the
same fashion as chemical fertilizers, i.e. with the release of
nutrients.

If that is the major issue then I think that with high clay soils I could
afford more organic material as the clay will bind the soluble nutrients
better. The reasons that I don't use a really high proportion of organic
matter is that it is a waste. Overall I get the best outcome spreading it
about.

I have had a pumpkin volunteer in the compost heap that I let go. It did
very well! The grass downslope from the heap is always overfertilised
anyway so there isn't much I can do about that. With 150m of pasture
between the gardens and the dam/creek/river I don't think much is going to
escape into waterways. Unlike those who apply chicken litter often to their
pasture my dam does not have an algal or water-weed bloom.