Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
OnThere are various red barked maples (rubescens, some palmatums, x
conspicuum) that are showing well now as well as the many snake barked
maples (tegmentosum, pensylvaticum, davidii, callipes, forrestii,
rufinerve, grosserii etc) which are beautiful and changeable throughout
the winter and spring.
Acer palmatum "Sangokaku" also known as "Senkaku" is perhaps the most famous for its winter bark colour, the colour goes really vibrant in the winter and tones down in the summer. They are rather fussy plants and you have to treat them right, I've lost a lot of Japanese maples, including my first attempt at growing Sangokaku. Though my present one is looking happier than any other Japanese I've grown before.

When you mention A. grosseri, it is usually A. hersi, which was previously considered a variety of A. grosseri, that people have in mind for the prettier bark - and that is the one that is more widely available. However they have now both been reclassified as varieties of A. davidii, though I expect it will take the garden trade a few decades to notice. Hers's maple seems to be an easy tree to grow, I shoved it in some poor soil gave it little help and it has done fine. Some careful shaping and pruning will help show off the bark. It does tone down in the winter.