Old 12-12-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default blackthorn flowering now (12 Dec)

On 12/12/2013 20:34, wrote:
In a farm hedge in west Devon (so an original sport not a cultivar someone has planted). Anyone else come across this? Should I propagate it out are there existing cultivars which do this?

It is a funny year. I have seen Japanese quince Chaenomeles in flower
with new fruit last week and we almost have snowdrops here. No flowers
yet but I will go and look in the warmest local spot this weekend.

Blame the weather - it was grey but insanely warm here today at 10C.

I have blackcurrant bushes with fresh new season leaves on now - boy are
they in for a shock if the weather turns nasty and cold.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown