Old 13-12-2013, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer palmatum Japanese names

On 12/12/2013 21:58, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:22:29 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Is there a website which translates into English what the Japanese name
of Acer palmatum cultivars means, and is reasonably comprehensive? I
found some at http://www.amblesidegardens.com/japanese-maples.html, but
assume there are others.

I know that the books by Yano (Book for Maples) and Vertrees/Gregory
(Japanese Maples, 4th Edition) many translations are given. There is
also the "World Checklist of Maple Cultivars" which is published by
Gregory, Westonbirt and Hugh Angus from the forestry office. It gives a
pretty complete view of what are accepted cultivars, although it's not
exclusive, it is pretty good for the spellings.

Another place to get the correct Japanese spellings in our alphabet is:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/chigyoraku/Etop11.html

which while not complete has some wonderful pictures and is all in all
one of the best Japanese maple resources online. Click on cultivars, or
flowers, or china; this last contains many little known species, and the
treatment of A. pictum (mono to pre-1996 purists) is the best I've seen
anywhere.

I seem to think there is some site which has a lot of translations, but
can't lay my hands on it here; I'll have to check bookmarks this weekend.

Thanks for that link to Hajime Hayashida's webpages. A real labour of
love! As you say, some great photography. Whilst searching on the
internet, I came across this:
http://www.greergardens.com/Japanese...rf%20Group.pdf
Some great photos there, too, in the unlikely event that you haven't
already seen them.

Next time I visit Wisley I'll have a look in the shop there, as that's
the most likely place I'll be able to see those books.

--

Jeff