Old 14-12-2013, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Acer palmatum Japanese names

On Fri, 13 Dec 2013 19:11:23 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 12/12/2013 21:58, Emery Davis wrote:

Another place to get the correct Japanese spellings in our alphabet is:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/chigyoraku/Etop11.html

[]
I seem to think there is some site which has a lot of translations, but
can't lay my hands on it here; I'll have to check bookmarks this
weekend.

Well, I must have been imagining it for the online resource. Looking at
"Japanese Maples" 4th Ed I do see that many names (or most?) are
translated, e.g. opening at random I'm informed that 'Oto hime' means
"little queen of the undersea world." Wow!

Thanks for that link to Hajime Hayashida's webpages. A real labour of
love! As you say, some great photography. Whilst searching on the
internet, I came across this:
http://www.greergardens.com/Japanese...rf%20Group.pdf Some
great photos there, too, in the unlikely event that you haven't already
seen them.

Greer Gardens is one of several temples of the American maple
collectors. Another one is Buccholtz, with a lot of fascinating plants
we can't get over here. I've whiled away many hours on his site:

http://www.buchholznursery.com/

One thing I will say is that I'm not a fan of flash photographs taken at
night. Some people love these but for me they really exaggerate the
colours of the leaves. Which is of course why people love them,
especially people trying to flog the things.

Next time I visit Wisley I'll have a look in the shop there, as that's
the most likely place I'll be able to see those books.

The Vertrees/Gregory is really the industry bible, you're likely to find
it there. Unfortunately I'm told that Yano's book is out of print and is
selling for hundreds!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy