Old 14-12-2013, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Removing other growth from holly hedge

On 14/12/2013 19:01, Janet wrote:
In article , lid
says...

On 14/12/2013 13:16, Janet wrote:
In article ,

says...

I have a strong holly hedge, I like it as it does not need pruning very
often. However over the last couple of years other plants, notably
hawthorn,have started to colonise it. This needs trimming frequently.
apart from long, arduous and painfully removing these from the base by
hand is there any other way to remove them? Would wrapping the
protruding stems in sponge soaked in weed killer then covered with a
polythene bag have any chance of working?

Not IMO . I'd sever the stems 6" from ground level using longhandled
loppers, then immediately paint or dribble the raw cut surface of the
root end with tree stump killer (from GC), you may need a long spout on
a dedicated watering can, or rig something up with a large milk carton
and hose) . Then fix a plastic bag over each stump (with cable tie) so
the rain won't wash the stuff off before it does the job.

The plants above the cuts will just die anyway so can be left in
place, the holly will soon hide their bare dead stems.

Janet.

I doubt that any systemic weedkiller will have any effect this time of
year. I'd wait until the hawthorn buds show signs of breaking next spring.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...d=229#section4

"The best time to apply stump killers is from autumn to winter. Avoid
treatment in spring and early summer when the sap is rising "

Janet.

Interesting. Some manufacturers advise that, others the opposite! For
example, have a look at the fourth bullet point at the top of the LH
column of page 2 he
http://www.gordonsusa.com/pdfs/StumpKiller-SL.pdf

I just wonder what happens to stump killer applied in autumn and winter.
Does it somehow soak into the tissues? How does it avoid being washed
out by heavy rain during that period and/or forced out when the sap
rises in spring? Does no sap flow down towards the roots at that time,
and carry weedkiller downwards?

--

Jeff