Old 16-12-2013, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Blooming marvelous

On 2013-12-15 15:59:13 +0000, David Hill said:

With it tipping down with rain and a fair wind blowing I thought I'd
repost this link to a really spectacular display
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...therlands.html

David @ a side of Swansea Bay that makes you want to hibernate.

Absolutely fabulous display but the Jersey Battle of Flowers started in
1902. Actually. Not that I'm boasting or anything! ;-)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/about_je...fflowers.shtml

Some of our family get involved with the Jersey floats and the
Bridgwater ones, so I've forwarded your link to them. They really are
quite stunning.

I thought that the "Battle of flowers" had been terminated, and had in
the last few years used paper flowers as they just don't grow enough to
make the floats.
David

No, there are paper classes but the traditional ones are there still
in great style. Much burning of fingers with glue guns and chrysanth
heads goes on! WhenI was a child, there wasn't a Hydrangea bush in the
island that was safe from the sneaky fingers of float builders a night
or two before Battle. We still had the actual Battle then but they
stopped that when the yob culture crept in and people started hurling
bottles etc. Shame but otoh, after the Battle, the floats are on
display outside the sheds they were made in, or their Parish halls.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com