Old 17-12-2013, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

Default Turf War Blooms Over Front-Yard Vegetable Gardening

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:30:30 AM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott wrote:

But noticeably absent is anything considered by Miami Shores to be a

vegetable. That's because earlier this year, after tending her garden

for 17 years with nothing from the neighbors but compliments, Ricketts

was ordered to dig up her veggies.

She says she was surprised several months ago when a zoning inspector

stopped by.

"He told me I was not allowed to have vegetables in the front yard,"

she says.

Under a zoning ordinance tightened last spring, residents in Miami

Shores are not allowed to have vegetable gardens in their front yards.

In August, Ricketts went before the town's code enforcement board to

protest, but board chairman Robert Vickers was less than sympathetic.

The board ruled the vegetables must go. The zoning inspector told

Ricketts which plants she had to pull up. She complied, but wasn't

done with her fight.

Home of the brave, land of the free.......

My gardens are in the front yard. Never even thought it would be a problem. I live in a community with covenants and all that too. Maybe I should check although I won't change anything.
MJ