Old 17-12-2013, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Turf War Blooms Over Front-Yard Vegetable Gardening

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:11:04 -0500, "Gus"
wrote:

"mj" wrote in message

My gardens are in the front yard. Never even thought it would be a
problem. I live in a community with covenants and all that too. Maybe
I should check although I won't change anything.
MJ

I see an occasional front yard garden here, not very often. When I see
one, I think: good for that person! They are making good use of the
space instead of having some unnaturally deep green chemically treated
lawn.

Most HOAs employ a landscaping service that mows, fertilizes, treats
for weeds, maintains the automatic sprinkler system, and the
shrubs/trees... everyone pays for this in their association dues and
everyone is made aware of the rulz before they buy. Some associations
are more strict than others and some residents are more slovenly than
others. Most don't want to see someones junkyard vegetable garden
right out front, and I've seen plenty in front yards of private homes
that were actually a hidious weed patch, and that is why HOAs have
rulz. Most HOAs don't mind if a residant plants a few vegetables
amongst the foundation shrubury but they won't permit digging up the
front yard. Many HOAs maintain very nice community gardens for the
residents. The thing is before buying an HOA carefully read and
understand the bylaws, it may not be for you, I know it's not for
me... and that's why I live on many acres in a very rural area... I
can grow as many veggies as I like anywhere on my property (my 2,500
sqft veggie garden is actually too big for me), I can keep livestock
too; poultry, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, even llamas and many of my
neighbors do. And still there are zoning ordinances as to how many of
each kind of animal per acre and how they are to be housed. No matter
where one lives there are rulz. Bottom line is without seeing the
vegetable garden in question it's impossible to make other than wild
speculations... but the rulz clearly state "No vegetable gardens in
the front yard". I'd speculate it's an eyesore or no one would have
complained.