Old 17-12-2013, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Fallen leaves in flower borders - good or bad?

"JohnWarden" wrote in message ...

I'm blessed 10 months of the year with a garden surrounded by lots of
very large, lovely trees. However, for 2 months of the year I'm deluged
with immense quantities of leaves that are dutifully collected and
eventually turned into huge mounds of leaf mould - lovely stuff.

My query relates to the leaves that fall into the beds and borders
(predominantly perennials and shrubs) and form a very nice snug
environment, much like mulching. Clearly, the leaf cover will protect
emerging shoots from frost, provide a habitat for beneficial insects and
toads, plus the mulching effect won't do any harm. However this snug
environment must also be great for slugs and snails - of which we get
plenty!

Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether it is better to leave
fallen leaves in the borders or to clear them all out? The lawns are
always kept reasonably clear to give the grass a fighting chance.

Many thanks

--
JohnWarden

John, what happens in nature?