Old 18-12-2013, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default My new favorite winter squash

zxcvbob said:

Thanks for the info. Will C. pepo pollinate Tetsukabuto?

No, it has to be one of the parent species. A good butternut or
cheese type C. moschata is probably the best bet. They tend to
have more color and cook up wetter than a kabocha, which makes
them ideal for soups (butternut squash bisque...mmmm) and also
nice for blending with a drier squash (like Testukabuto) when
making baked goods.

I didn't really plant a garden this year because of the weather (just 4
tomato plants, and a couple of rows of beans that the rabbit ravished),
and I missed it. Starting to plan for next spring already. First thing
in will be lots of chicken wire... And maybe a hawk or owl...

We had a miserable spring here (both weather and health related).
It was my absolute worst squash harvest EVER, because the plants
just did not start growing in time to set a crop.

The wet spring set up a summer of mosquitos. And of course, when
it stopped raining, it REALLY stopped raining, for about a month.

Then fall came damp and sullen--no Indian Summer--just rotten.

*grumble*

On the up side, I did not have to trap or slay any groundhogs this
year. And no sign of anything other than mice in the garage.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored