Old 18-12-2013, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,aus.gardens
anm anm is offline

Default More passion

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 19:42:21 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

these passions are odd, the first pic shows the main passion above and
the puny passions growing from between the logs below. the main passion
seems to be making the green more solid looking ones, the puny passion
seems to be making smaller ones that are turning bright orange, the
whole affair is climbing a plum tree (you can see plums)

http://tinypic.com/r/wrfkfd/5

http://tinypic.com/r/245mqeb/5

http://tinypic.com/r/ridqhi/5

Quite normal.

I had a similar vine growth several years ago.
Got excited with the growth until I did some research, the results of
which made me realise that I was not going to get lots of golden
passionfruit. Basically they are thin skinned and 'dry' inside, coming
from a spindly vine.

Suspect you have a "grafted" vine; given your location and the picture,
probably a Nellie Kelly.

That is, the Nellie Kelly vine has been grafted onto a vigorous (wild)
rootstock; similar to grape vines - the grafting, not the rootstock :P

You need to watch the rootstock since, as mentioned, it is quite a
vigorous grower. This means you get vine growth off the rootstock. This
should be regularly pruned / cut back to allow all growth through the
grafted (Nellie Kelly?) vine.

HTH