Old 18-12-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default African Lilly problem

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 19:05:25 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article , says...

I've always believed the evergreen type are not hardy in the UK outside, pot
culture only. My ones grown for seed are the other type and they are hardy
of sorts but position is everything.

I'm surprised at the comments on good drainage; because in NZ and
Madeira I've seen wet drainage ditches heavily colonised by agapanthus ,
and several varieties of deciduous types grow very well in my high-
rainfall garden, in places that are often water logged. I've not lost
one in 11 years here.
I don't give them any winter protection at all. We do have relatively
mild winters (just a few degrees of frost) but they have survived a
spell of several weeks cold enough that ice on the pond never melted.

Janet Isle of Arran

In my experience they flower better inpots, and potbound.
I keep mine undercover (no greenhouse) in winter. Last winter I
didn't do so and lost 3 pots which I had left out in the open.
The best ones I've seen in flower were in New Zealand in steep
roadside banks at Christmas, so obviously well drained.
Janet's experience is obviously very different so they must adapt very
well.
Yours look much the same as mine do, the narrow-leaved hardy ones.
I think they thrive on a good baking but not drying out in summer.
The broader leaved ones definitely need greenhouse protection in
winter. Give them full sun in summer.

Pam in Bristol