Old 01-01-2014, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Pruning a new Cornus alba

On 01/01/2014 13:08, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Impulse purchase for a gap, where I have failed with a few more
exotic plants :-)

My question is how happy they are to be pruned back to the ground
(i.e. will they reshoot from the rootstock or only the stem).
From the ones I have seen, I suspect that they will be happy,
but those might have been multiple plants, planted deep.

I suspect they are almost indestructible a bit like buddleias, but there
is always the exception that proves the rule. Cutting back all the old
wood hard and half of the nicer bright stems would be my vote.

I prefer the variegated forms myself - a bit less vigorous.

And a Happy New Year to everyone!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown