Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning a new Cornus alba

In article ,
Spider wrote:

My question is how happy they are to be pruned back to the ground
(i.e. will they reshoot from the rootstock or only the stem).
From the ones I have seen, I suspect that they will be happy,
but those might have been multiple plants, planted deep.

I didn't do very well with mine by treating it that harshly as a young
plant. I have read that the better treatment (esp if you want to
maintain a show of red stems) is to leave it unpruned for the first
2-3yrs in order to gain a bushy plant, then subsequently prune out older
wood, leaving the younger, redder growth as your display. Even within
that regime, it is worth pruning out dead and diseased wood so that it
is healthy and looks attractive.

Thanks. The larger plants were all very single-stemmed, so I bought
a smaller one that wasn't. One 2012 and one 2013 shoot. I'll just
plant, and might see about another.

What I'm not sure of is whether or not it is stem-rooting, which would
allow deeper planting and, probably, more stem production. Does anyone
here know?

Unlikely. But it might be happy planted deep.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.