Old 02-01-2014, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Does it matter

On 02/01/2014 08:14, Derek wrote:
I plan to buy a 8 by 20 greenhouse this year, to keep the view from
the house, it would look better if the greenhouse was erected South to
North, how much dif fence will it make, rather than the conventional
East to West.

Well let's see.
If you site the glasshouse N S then you make more use of the morning and
evening sun but less of the midday sun. OK in the simmer but in the
winter when the extra sun would help , not so good.
If you are going to erect it on a concrete block base then think about
leaving space to bring in Water pipe, gas pipe remember electric if you
are bringing it in underground.
Buy extra vents, normally with a 20 ft house you will get 4 vents. A
door at each end can be useful.
Where is the rain water going to go? do you need to put in some form of
drainage or water storage tanks.remember they can shade the house.
If you are going to have electric in the greenhouse then you will have
to put in a plate to mount the power point on also how are you going to
put in lighting?
You say you have a good view, that may mean that you will have strong
winds. I'd add extra braces at the gables and ridge.
I have just finished putting up two 8' x 10' houses which I joined to
form a 8' x 20' house thus getting 2 doors, also a 2nd hand 8' x 12'
house(Different make so different height).
I added extra braces at every glazing bar, made it much slower and
harder putting in bubble insulation, I used 5 x 25m of tape to re-stick
the cut sheets.

David@ a surprisingly rain free side of Swansea Bay, well up to an hour
ago but we did have almost 8 hours rain free and even some sunshine.