Old 03-01-2014, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Anyone else in the far west of Cornwall?

In article ,
says...

Let me know if you find a satisfactory method of staking things. We've
been in the area for twelve years now, overlooking the sea and very
exposed to SW salt gales (like...as I type, it's absolutely roaring
outside!), and lose shrubs regularly, staked or not.

I avoid staking and find stone-anchoring much more effective. Just two
or three heavy boulders close to the stem; once the plant is established
they can be removed. And plant small. A small plant has chance to grow
a root system big enough to anchor the future topgrowth. Large/tall
plants on a small root structure are in a losing battle from the start.

I'm gardening on an island coast clifftop in West Scotland, it's mild
and very wet, lots of salty wind, often galeforce.We've spent weeks this
winter battened down under winds from 60 to 90 mph but haven't lost any
plants. The vast majority of my garden is evergreen (in all colours)
plants otherwise I'd spend nine months of the year looking at sticks.. I
choose wind resistant and wind filtering plants ; small or narrow leaves
are good; and pack them in close. Plants that can take anything include
bamboos, fatsia japonica, ceanothus, double gorse,cordyline,corokia,
griselinea, eleagnus,fuchsia, hebe, ozothmnus, phormium,pittosporum,
rugosa roses, sambucus, melianthus, cornus, hazels, buddliea,
agapanthus, verbena bonariensis, hawthorn, leptospermum and camellia,
rowan, irises, euphorbia, and crocosmias.

Janet (Isle of Arran)