Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Anyone else in the far west of Cornwall?

On 2014-01-03 20:26:58 +0000, said:

On Friday, January 3, 2014 7:51:34 PM UTC, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 17:15:16 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

Most of my shrubs are double staked or triple staked in a triangle, but

stakes break, pull out of the ground, ties break etc.

Bigger stakes. B-)

Our 8x6 shed is staked down they don't break or rot. They are

re-purposed tree stakes about 1 1/2" sq and 5' long, driven in as far

as I could get 'em, around 18".

--

Cheers

Dave.

This reply is to all the posters above:

Thanks for all those kind replies: advice and contacts for gardening club.

Climate: Yes, I realize its not the Isles of Scilly! But we do seem to
be able to plant potatoes about now and harvest in April (well, we did
last two years)

Wind: The big problem. F7 is routine and F9 not unusual. Two 50mm by 2m
stakes with twisted inner tube elastic between them holding the plant
seems to work, but its ugly and out of the question for 20-30 hedging
plants.

We are banking on a shelter belt of Olearia virgata laxifolia (from
Trevena cross, as it happens) but they seem to be leaning a bit. I
think I over-fed them and they have got a bit top heavy for the light
soil. Big rocks seem to be helping.

I think I have found a useful resource...

Regards

Peter

For what it's worth, we know the gardens on Tresco quite well. Without
the shelter belt that was so thoughtfully planted before the
interesting work got going, that garden could not exist today! It
means that the view from the Abbey Gardens is very restricted to a
glimpse here and there towards the sea but it does mean there is a
garden!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com