Old 06-01-2014, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Let it be Let it be is offline

Default Customer survey

sacha wrote:
Not really - but something I've briefly touched on with another
Nursery on Twitter and it seems to me that the experiences of urglers
is valuable both to each other and to the nurseryman in this. Few
nurseries selling online tell you what size pot your plant is going to
arrive in but we wonder if the average buyer knows the difference
between a 2 litre pot and a 10cm pot? I'm asking this because,
frankly, we have been shocked to see certain plants sold for £20
which, we're fairly sure, will arrive in a 10cm pot, which means a
small plant with a small root system. We searched the ad and the
website of the nursery involved and see no reference to pot sizes at
all. In the past we ourselves have bought a supposedly 2 year old
grape vine from a reputable nursery but which had to be 'nursed' in a
tunnel for 2 years before planting out into a greenhouse. The same
happened to a very expensive but desirable Magnolia from another
(different) well known nursery. We didn't dare put it in the garden
for two years!

If I'm not binned!

Don't know what breed of magnolia you're referring to, but nearly 30 years
ago, I bought one (on grafted stock) less around 2ft high for the princely
sum of £2, planted it straight into the ground - and it's grown into a
flaming giant now with a huge amount of flower on it - and the grand-kids
even have even put a rope-swing on it and have a whale of a time
all-year-round.

As I would *NEVER* buy a plant over the internet (preferring to visit a
'good', well run garden centre instead), pot sizes versus capacity isn't a
problem.

Have a nice day