Old 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Another option is to get a weeping form which has a pre-defined height. For example, I have a weeping Atlas cedar and a weeping flowering apple (ie one that is no use for its fruit, not even for crab apple jelly) which are both just the same height as when I bought them.
I have Red Jade, which is a weeping crab (quite possibly the same one), and I have managed to increase its height by about 2 ft by careful pruning, removing the lowest branches, and pruning the upper ones to an upward trending side branch.

On the other hand, over the same period it has increased its spread by about 12 ft, so not the best option for the OP, who wanted a non-spreading tree.

If he wants a non-spreader, then he could go for something columnar, like the flowering cherry Amanagowa, which will go above 210ft eventually but will take a long time to do it.