Old 07-01-2014, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Blue sky and hail

On 2014-01-07 11:33:51 +0000, Martin said:

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 10:59:58 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

This weather is *weird*! We've just had a big downpour of hail,
there's a large patch of blue sky, some cloud and a large patch of
black sky. Early this morning there was a thunderstorm and a power
cut. I am so sorry for those poor people who are flooded and can see
no end to all this.

Even worse are the people who are flooded every year and politicians
doing
nothing about it except talking.

I think they have to hand over money and autonomy to local authorities
who will dredge, dig culverts or do whatever has to be done but with
local knowledge. I don't think this sort of disaster aversion can be
controlled from Whitehall. I don't actually know how it's managed now,
other than by a lot of jaw action, as you say. But 'give us the tools
and we'll do the job' does seem to be the only sensible management.

But above all, it should be made illegal to build on, or close to, flood
plains. Driving to Bridgwater last week we saw acres upon acre of lakes
that should have been fields and we heard this morning that the train
line is flooded again near Taunton, I think. So no trains into the
further reaches of the peninsula! I cannot begin to imagine what it
would be like to be on a train near Dawlish now anyway, if the trains
from this side are running!

I can't see giving the "Locals" the money to carry out flood prevention
would be of any great advantage.
It's these people who have given planning permission in the first
place to build on flood plains.
I remember seeing a house on one of the Property progs that was build by
the river but on a raft of something like 4ft of polystyrene so when the
ground flooded the house floated, held in place by strong posts at the
corners.
This is another idea along these lines.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wa...-welsh-2731149