Old 08-01-2014, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Floods?

On Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:09:12 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

How are you all doing regarding flooding?

Not problem at all but if we had flooding the rest you you would be
in serious trouble being at 1400' on the side of a steep sided
valley.

But with the gales and driving rain the water get im anyway. Damp
patches in the plaster at several windows and puddle in utilty room
where it drips from the inside edge of the outside doors reveal. I
think the rain must get blow up under the flashing and over the top
of the slates of the porch. The sarking looks as if it goes up the
wall behind the vertical flashing but how far ... Water with a gale
behind it can drive up quite a way.

Here we are just a couple of hundred yards from the Thames,

A "slow response" river ... Have you found the online guageing
stations on the EA's
website?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/136488.aspx?stationId=7268

Teddington Lock, I think the spikes are tidal influences, at least
they match those at Thames Tideway at
RIchmond:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/136488.aspx?stationId=7393

Compare the overall gentle rise in level (ignoring the tidal effects)
with our local
river:

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ds/riverlevels
/120691.aspx?stationId=8007