Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Roses - prune? fertilize?

On Monday, January 6, 2014 3:55:25 PM UTC-8, David E. Ross wrote:
On 1/5/2014 8:19 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Climate here in So.Calif coastal has been anomalous (sp?) last few

years. Hot, cold, hot, no respecter of seasons.

Right now, it's not even our version of "winter"; more like 70-80

daytime temp. (Not that I'm complaining about the sunshine, but we

are in deep trouble for rain locally as well as in the mountains.

Little or no snowpack, big trouble for domestic water use and for

agriculture.)

My roses did not do their usual holiday season flush; just a few

blooms.

I neglected to feed several months ago. So now I don't know what the

hell to do! Normally I wouldn't feed until some time after I prune

(usually around 3rd week in January.

Is it safest to just proceed normally, rather than screw them up by

feeding now and pruning later?

Help!

HB

Prune right now. I've pruned 8 of my 14 roses. One (a miniature) will

not be pruned.

As soon as leaf buds start to open, feed.

--

David E. Ross

Climate: California Mediterranean, see

David Ross -- Are you noticing anything different last few years? IOW, have you always pruned on that schedule?

TIA

HB