Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Mine is red jade too. I prune off any sideshoots that threaten to disturb the current general shape, which only amounts to about a 5 min job each winter on it, and very little material removed, though I can understand how you can also train it as you suggest. I also successfully set a mistletoe on it, and I've been interested to see how very slowly mistletoe grows, it's been there about 6 years now and still not big enough to harvest any for Christmas. (I've got a seed to germinate on one of my pear trees in the past year, though last time I germinated 3 seeds out of about 15 placed, and only one established.)
Wow! I like the idea of Red Jade with mistletoe! I've tried without success to get it to grow on the apple trees, but completely forgot the Red Jade in the front garden. It's a lovely tree when in blossom in spring, and gets a lot of comments from passers-by, but the "crabs" are a complete disappointment. I don't think even the blackbird can find them.