Old 26-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Baby possum in strawberries

Polar said:

Dunno how he got in under the netting, but there he was,
hissing at me. I only wanted to get him out so the cat wouldn't get
him. Anyway, he escaped on his own.

My question: Do they eat strawberries? If so, I'll have to
fasten that netting down more securely.

Doesn't everything eat strawberries? I stopped growing them because
they needed constant defence against creatures with one, two, four and
six feet.

(I felt very guilty when a pair of large blue racers (snakes) got caught in
my strawberry netting, and one died before I could rescue them.)

Possums around here are usually pretty mellow. They are the easiest
creatures to release from traps. They never hiss at me and they never
exit faster than a slow walk. And they will jam themselves into traps
which they can barely fit into -- I caught one once in a small trap I had set for
chipmunks! I know they can be lured in by apples and melon slices (meant as
groundhog bait) so I'm pretty sure they will eat strawberries.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)