Old 09-01-2014, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Is this ethical?

On 2014-01-09 14:48:36 +0000, Emery Davis said:

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 12:41:14 +0000, sacha wrote:

I'd drop them a friendly email saying that you've been growing these for
years and wonder if they're aware that they don't come true from seed.
It may be genuine ignorance on their part, or it may be a deliberate
attempt to mislead but either way, they'll see that it's been picked up.
If you or a member of your family, have a Twitter or Fb account you
could also issue a warning there, without naming the sellers, of course
but just stating you've seen this ad and that the plants cannot be grown
from seed and turn out to be what is claimed for them.

Hi Sacha,

My plan is to send them an email. I just thought it interesting to
garner some reactions to this misleading and widespread practice. Many
people would improperly label their seedling as Osakasuki, and perhaps
even propagate it as such...

Seems a good way to handle it to me. Depending on the tone of their
answer or their future action, you could have a word with the RHS
because their name and reputation is being invoked.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com