Old 11-01-2014, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Roses - prune? fertilize?

Higgs Boson wrote:

Besides an extreme drought, this is a relatively warm winter here in

southern California. So far, there have been only 100 hours of below

45F temperatures since the beginning of November and none since 21

December. By this date last year, we had slightly more than 181
hours.

Two years ago on this date, we had less than 86 hours. I am quite

concerned about my peach tree, which requires abouit 300 hours of
winter

chill.

Seriously, David, would it be worth your while to bank the
surrounding area out to the drip line with ice cubes? It would be
expensive, yes, but might help get you a crop this year.

I had a peach tree for 15 - more like 20 - years that bore up a
storm; couldn't keep up with the picking. And my area is much milder
than yours. Can't remember my variety; it was a golden oldie
standard cling. What variety is yours?

HB

I think a portable cooler would be the thing, the kind they hire for parties
etc. All you need to do is turn on its side and poke the tree in through
the door. Connect up with a long extension lead or better still a
generator. The kind you pedal would be best for the environment. As a side
benefit you keep warm yourself and get fit. I am starting to think this
would have wide application. Perhaps special coolers that come with an
insulated tent would sell well. Seriously, David.

Serious David