Old 11-01-2014, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Roses - prune? fertilize?

On Friday, January 10, 2014 10:35:17 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Besides an extreme drought, this is a relatively warm winter here in

southern California. So far, there have been only 100 hours of below

45F temperatures since the beginning of November and none since 21

December. By this date last year, we had slightly more than 181

hours.

Two years ago on this date, we had less than 86 hours. I am quite

concerned about my peach tree, which requires abouit 300 hours of

winter

chill.

Seriously, David, would it be worth your while to bank the

surrounding area out to the drip line with ice cubes? It would be

expensive, yes, but might help get you a crop this year.

I had a peach tree for 15 - more like 20 - years that bore up a

storm; couldn't keep up with the picking. And my area is much milder

than yours. Can't remember my variety; it was a golden oldie

standard cling. What variety is yours?

HB

I think a portable cooler would be the thing, the kind they hire for parties

etc. All you need to do is turn on its side and poke the tree in through

the door. Connect up with a long extension lead or better still a

generator. The kind you pedal would be best for the environment. As a side

benefit you keep warm yourself and get fit. I am starting to think this

would have wide application. Perhaps special coolers that come with an

insulated tent would sell well. Seriously, David.

Serious David

Let's hear it for typical Aussie ingenuity!

HB