Old 11-01-2014, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tar oil replacement

We got no apples this year, because of catastrophic woolly aphid.
I have lesser but similar problems with a grey aphid on currants.
The problem is that the infestation causes immediate and severe
enclosure by the distorted leaves, so contact insectides will not
work. I also have chestnut scale on one vine.

Now, the traditional solution is a tar oil winter wash, but the UK
has banned that for domestic use. There are some organic replacements,
but they don't look at all effective, and I don't want to harm the
plants by using strong disinfectants (e.g. Armillatox or Jeyes'
Fluid) in the absence of advice.

So what would people recommend?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.