Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default Floods?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
How are you all doing regarding flooding?
Here we are just a couple of hundred yards from the Thames, luckily on a
raised bit of ground, but I noticed today the river is over it's banks and
lapping against the walls of the Swan pub in The Hythe opposite Staines.
Around Chertsey Bridge this afternoon the roads there were virtual

gridlock
(took me over 30 mins instead of 5 to negotiate) as the B375 on the
Middlesex side was flooded for over 200 yards to the roundabout and

drivers
were rightly taking their time driving through it, didn't help that a

large
caravan was parked at the side of the road (the driver was having a chat)
forcing everyone over to the other, deeper, side of the road! (and they
wonder why they get disliked!) Thorpe Park lake has risen over it's bank

and
is now flooding onto/across the Staines Road A320. Fields are flooded, not
just wet, all around.

I live in NW London, and here one of the lawns surrounding our block of
flats is waterlogged. The nearby rose bed is under water too. Not sure what
effect that will have on the roses. But up the road from me is a large park,
and a small part of that is waterlogged resembling a pond with trees arising
from ot. A bit like the Florida everglades in there. I'll put up a photo in
a few days.