Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default geese?

Last night out watching the pretty sunset the quiet was interrupted by
honking, then a large V of what I assume were geese came overhead,
heading north.

It seems quite early to be heading north, in spite of the warm weather.
We just had a first hard frost a couple of days ago, and the hazels are
out. Quite a lot of bud swelling going on, I'm afraid the tree peony is
going to leaf out. I expect there's quite a bit of cold on the horizon,
with perhaps snow expected next week (according to a local grizzled
farmer). Snowdrops blooming and daffs up, but that's not unusual.

Were the birds confused, or is this a normal time to go north? Or
perhaps they weren't geese?

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy