Old 12-01-2014, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tar oil replacement

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

We got no apples this year, because of catastrophic woolly aphid.

Correction. Rosy apple aphid. I should have checked first.

I believe Vitax still do a winter wash for fruit trees but based on plant
oils, there may be others.

They do. It's a mixture of sesame oil and fish oils - i.e. it's
actually suitable for use in cooking! That's the sort of thing
that doesn't sound at all effective to me, and the recommendations
I have seen confirm that :-(

Hope not! I am going to try it this year.

The only one I could get was Growing Success, so have soaked the
relevant plants in it, and will try to remember to spray with
Savona at bud break. If the combination doesn't work, it will
have to be Jeyes' Fluid and risk it :-(

Incidentally, I found lots of Web references to using both that
and Armillatox as a winter wash, but none that I would call very
reliable or specific. And, as we all know, the Web of a Million
Lies is a gross underestimate!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.