Old 13-01-2014, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default A New spade

Well the time has come to pension off my old spade after somewhat over
20 years, The blade is now around 3 inches shorter that it was when new.
So I set off to get a new one, but what and where?
First stop The Range, just one at £8.95 OK till I ran my hand down the
handle and where the blade is held on to the metal handle by 4 pop
rivets I got a sliver of metal; from where they had drilled; in my
finger, the next I tried was also rough.
Next stop B & Q Bulldog at £34.45 heavy, but usable, and a bit pricey,
a lighter one but the blade was welded, a bit cheaper but no bargain,
then there was their own brand with a plastic sort of swan neck
(Ergonomic?) handle, fair but the first I looked at the foam grip was
already split, and it hadn't even left the store.
Next call was Wyevale Garden centre, A much better selection as you
would expect, and cheaper than B & Q.
Some in their sale for £10.00 ;but the grip would need some work with a
knife to remove rough bits on the underside; and a special offer of a
very utility set, spade and fork for just £10.
I settled for a Wilkinson spade for £13.50, no sharp bits, or rough
handles so no chance of cuts or blisters and Wilkinson's guarantee.
Now I just have to grind down the blade a bit to give it some form of
cutting edge, and I'll be ready for the next 20 years, well miracles do
happen, and I'll only be in my 90's.
David @ a yet again wet side of Swansea Bay.