Old 28-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

BenignVanilla wrote:
"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
snip

For proper filtration, I suggest you float them bareroot -
no pots. If you choose the proper plants, the water will
soon be completely covered.

Just toss 'em in? How do you keep them upright? I have used watercress in an
aquarium, but the leaves don't stay above the surface very well...of course
my fish don't help.

How do you do it in your pond? No pots at all in the VF?

BV.

One way is to float a light grid (it looks like and egg
crate) available at Home Depot, etc. You simply stick the
plants into the openings. Before you know it the egg crate
is no longer visible. This works great for water cress.
For water celery, I simply float the plant - it will soon
take off and the roots go down and the plant grows up - magic.
Some other types of plants do need something to hold them in
place - slotted baskets with rocks to anchor the plant. Not
to many, you want more roots filling the space not rocks.
--
Bonnie
NJ