Old 15-01-2014, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Great British Garden Revival

On 15/01/2014 09:41, shazzbat wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
I am surprised that no one has posted about this series.
I'm finding it good, a different format with a good selection of
presenters, though I just can't take very much of Christine Walkden, I had
to change channels after almost 15 mins. of her. I know others find her
good.
Then tonight being told how to get rid of bindweed, "don't pull it up as
it has a tap-root that can go down a couple of meters" a different form to
any I have found in a long life of fighting it. But I'm being picky.
Lets have more gardening progs. in this sort of format.
David @ a rainy side of Swansea Bay.

I've seen little of the series due to various commitments, and I find that
if I record stuff I rarely get round to watching it, so nowadays I either
see it when it's on, or let it go. I've gone back to pre-video days I
suppose.

I'm with you on Christine, although like her I grew up in Manchester. So
it's not the accent. I just find a little of her goes a long way.

I didn't think bindweed was taprooted, certainly what we've got isn't like a
dandelion root. Ours has wiggly all over the place roots, and snaps at the
slightest touch, sending several new shoots up, so I'm not convinced of the
efficacy of the "cure" presented last night.

I have mostly liked what I've seen of the series though. Coincidentally, The
gardens with the massive herbaceous border (Arley? Apsley?) was also
featured at lunchtime on one of those flog your crap down the auction
programmes on just before the news.

Steve

It's a mystery to me how they decide how long a show stays on IPlayer.
Some things stay for months and others disappear quickly. I made a
mental note to catch up on "Britain and the Sea", but it was gone.
Fortunately it was on Pirate Bay.