Old 15-01-2014, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default What to plant in waste area

On 15/01/2014 13:57, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:

I have a small waste area, 1.5 x 7 metres, by the side of my house,
and want to plant something to stop the weeds growing there.
I was thinking of potatoes or sweet peas.
Any other (or better) suggestions?

I'd like to plant as soon as possible.

Periwinkle would be evergreen, nasrurtiums annual.
Shrubs, I'd plant sarcococca.

I did not see that the OP is in Italy, but I remember seeing in
Madeira in February a huge pile of rubble completely covered in
nasturtiums, with nothing else growing through.
Obvisously high ground in Italy does not compare with Madeira, but I
recalled it being good for waste land.

Yes, but it won't prevent weeds from growing through it, unlike
periwinkle.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I remember looking at the nasturtiums in St. James Park last year. They
didn't get round to flowering much but the huge overlapping leaves would
appear to totally block the light for anything underneath them.