Old 15-01-2014, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sacha sacha is offline

Default Great British Garden Revival

On 2014-01-15 17:49:05 +0000, David Hill said:

On 15/01/2014 10:10, stuart noble wrote:

I'm with you on Christine, although like her I grew up in Manchester. So
it's not the accent. I just find a little of her goes a long way.

I didn't think bindweed was taprooted, certainly what we've got isn't
like a
dandelion root. Ours has wiggly all over the place roots, and snaps at the
slightest touch, sending several new shoots up, so I'm not convinced of the
efficacy of the "cure" presented last night.

I have mostly liked what I've seen of the series though. Coincidentally,
The
gardens with the massive herbaceous border (Arley? Apsley?) was also
featured at lunchtime on one of those flog your crap down the auction
programmes on just before the news.

Steve

As you say Steve, bindweed has white, brittle roots that ramble all
over the place. Definitely no tap-root, But the method shown does work
well, but it's best if you put on a plastic/rubber glove with a woollen
glove, or old sock over it, then dip your hand into the mix of weed
killer and draw your hand over the bindweed (or any other weed that you
want to spot treat) this prevents spray drift, and if you do it in the
evening then you wont have the weed killer evaporating and spreading
fume around.
I also saw our "Antique expert" being given a bit of the story of the gardens,
Well if you have a camera crew and all the hanger ons it makes sense to
get all you can out of them.
David @ a yet again rain swept side of Swansea Bay.

I didn't see the bit in which someone was told that convolvulus has a
taproot but that's a little worrying! Misinformation is worse than none
at all, imo. Try to dig down to find a tap root for convolvulus and
you'll (potentially)end up snapping off and up setting up minute bits
of the real root all over your flower beds, from which it will merrily
spring as new plants. Not helpful!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com