Old 16-01-2014, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default water repellant spoil

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:07:31 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Fran Farmer wrote:

I've been away for more than a month, and although Himself did a
lot of watering, there are some places where the soil has dried
out to such an extent that it's now baked and water repellant and
all attempts at normal watering (ie hoses and sprinklers) are
proving fruitless.

How have others coped with this other than puddling and making mud
pies? This does seem to work, but I'm sure there will be some
reason why I shouldn't do this even though it can't be because of
soil structure since where there is none to begin with once it's
as dry as a chip. I also do not like using soil wetting agents
since I've never been able to find out what it does to earth worms
and I know they will return eventually, once it rains or the
winter comes and the weather cools.

Not enough details (climate, area size, growing?) but it's really a
no-brainer... the best way to improve adobe-like soil is to till in
organic matter and rich topsoil... invest in a Mantis tiller, a
truckload of good topsoil, many bags of peat moss,

Peat moss! Far too expensive. Why use an expensive limited
resource like peat that must be transported long distances (Fran is
Southern highlands NSW and the nearest peat bogs are in Tasmania)
when some other local source of organic material will do as well and
be much cheaper. Peat moss is not available cheaply around the
world, stop being so parochical.

and begin a
composting program... over watering hard soil will just make a mess
and when it dries it'll make your soil even harder. There's no
magic bullet... you need to WORK at it... standing there with a
garden hose only demonstrates gross laziness.

Why is it that even when seeming to be helpful you must put your
strange insulting slant on everything. You know nothing about
people but offer them gratuitious insult anyway. If Fran is
anything like the farming women I know round here she has been
working from daylight til dark these last 50 years and is only now
slowing down as her body just can't do it any more. regardless of
the that you are such an ignorant, boorish oaf. Come back when you
can be civil.

David

STFU, invalid!

Back in the bozobin for you.