Old 16-01-2014, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default level the lawn

"stuart noble" wrote in message
news
My son's lawn has a dip in the middle. The whole area is probably 60 ft x
20 ft and the centre is about 3" lower than the edges. I thought of trying
a quick fix by leveling with topsoil/sand/seed and hoping the existing
grass will grow through it. Is that a realistic expectation?

I read a long discussion about it on Gardenweb, so I know about sand types
etc, but what works in the southern USA might not be successful in SE
England. With a toddler charging about, doing a proper job isn't an option
for the foreseeable future .

Any advice welcome

We have done leveling with soil many times to get ours a bit easier to mow,
we use a long plank, work around the area and keep firming the filled area,
done in winter it was mowable by April, we used seed but the underlying
grasses grew up through and speeded things up

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs