Old 17-01-2014, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Another John Another John is offline

Default Advice on sharpening a mower blade (mulcher)

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

.... I had a quick google and found
images of mulching blades that had the sharpened edge going from the
blade tip along the edge up onto and along the hump. Bet I can't find
that image again...

Oh I can, in this
artcle:

http://www.familyhandyman.com/automo...ir/lawn-mower-
blade-sharpening

http://tinyurl.com/lwt3puw

Yep - that's a good article Dave -- best I've seen yet (and I've seen
flipping dozens!). Also, as you say, it has a good picture of a
mulching blade.

As I said yesterday I concluded that my blades did indeed need
sharpening to the ends, despite the incredibly blunt state of them.
Having done that (using my angle grinder (yay!) and a flap wheel, I've
also concluded that the blades will need replacing later this year.

The big challenge (for little me) was removing the cutting deck of this
ride-on mower to get at the blades in the first place, AND THEN putting
it all back together with the drive-belt in the right configuration.
(Thank goodness for digital cameras.)

I reassembled it yesterday. I now have the battery on charge and will
start it up soon: will there be any funny/disastrous noises?!

The operation so far has taken me over three hours: I am expecting that
next time I do it it will take far less than one hour.

Thanks again for all input.

John