Old 17-01-2014, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default level the lawn

On 17/01/2014 09:24, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/01/2014 09:11, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/01/2014 20:28, David Hill wrote:
On 16/01/2014 19:03, stuart noble wrote:
On 16/01/2014 18:16, David Hill wrote:

What you don't tell us is the diameter of the dip

I won't really know the details till I get a straightedge on it.
Needless to say, it's not a uniform dip, but I reckon probably half the
area is too low by anything from 1" to 3"

I'd be inclined to remove the turf from the deepest part and add soil
then replace the turf, then later level with a top dressing of soil and
sand to get the final level.
alternative you could always lower the outside of the lawn

Good idea. Thanks.

Just be aware that like my attempt on my first lawn to remove a smallish
hump cutting and moving turf to change the soil level and relaying is
backbreaking work and incredibly time consuming.

I'd favour as someone else suggested laying bought turf over the
existing low spots and let the edges into the existing lawn. But be
aware it will always show up as different colour/texture grass.

These instant gratification garden makeover programmes have a lot to
answer for. I reckon they should be forced to go back and show how many
of the buy & die expensive mature plants they burnt money on are still
alive in the tender care of the home owners after two or three years.

The gradual way I suggested is orders of magnitude less work!

I don't like the idea of laying turf on turf, they won't root through
that well if the underlying turf id mature.
As with all jobs it depends on the competence of the person doing the
job, and the state of the ground,which is why I recommended a
combination of raising the turf level and using a dressing of soil.
If the area is a fair size then hiring a turf cutting machine for a day
at around £30 could make the job easier, as laying properly cut turf is
a lot easier than replacing spade cut turf.
David @ a yet again wet side of Swansea Bay where we have now had almost
9 inches of rain this month.