Old 18-01-2014, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Ficus trigonata (?)

"David E. Ross" wrote in message ...
On 1/17/2014 10:01 AM, Guv Bob wrote:
Anyone have an idea of what these trees are? I'm pretty sure they are Ficus.

Location coastal San Diego County, California. The best match I can find from all the ID websites is this one...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_trigonata

Leaves & trunks from 15-ft and 30-ft trees:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/19/w5ac.jpg

I can't reach the leaves on the taller trees & none on the ground....

6-ft tall tree:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/855/xvyn.jpg

Leaf from 6-ft tree, front:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/59/lcol.jpg

Leaf from 6-ft tree, back:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800...0/834/yg15.jpg

Does the tree have a milky white or pale yellow sap? If not, it is not
a Ficus.

The leaves almost seem to be compound leaflets rather than simple leaves
along a stem. This is why I question the Ficus identification since
Ficus species have simple leaves.

If these trees are planted in a park or along a street, you might
inquire at the public works department of the local city or San Diego
County. They generally maintain an inventory of trees in public spaces.
A garden club or good nursery might also identify them.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Thanks, David. No white or yellow sap with these.

Following the tree ID charts, I ended up with anything from figs to walnuts. The city does plant ficus trees here. That's why I thought these might be ficus, but mine grow tall and straight - and don't bush out like the city trees.

One reason I thought it might be a ficus are the photos on this site:
http://www.desertmuseum.org/programs...ees_fictri.php
The base of my largest tree is starting form lobes, like the tree in the left photo 2nd row.

Also the leaf matches exactly except the one in this photo has a stem, and mine don't.
However the bottom row, right photo looks nothing like my trees. Mine are all a single smooth trunk, straight up, with no branching out below 10 feet.