Old 18-01-2014, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Early primroses?

On 2014-01-17 13:36:23 +0000, kay said:

[]
More remarkable is that the hazel catkins are already open. The male
ones, that is - the female flowers aren't so much in evidence.

Yes, I've seen a few of those about, too. What will happen about
pollenation, I wonder,or is it windborne in their case?

The catkins are well out. I haven't noticed any of the wild primroses,
but the cultivated ones are blooming away.

Today noticed forsythia starting to bloom. Only a few flowers, but...

-E

The blackbirds are definitely thinking about mating. We watched a male
blackbird chasing a female around for ages in one of the greenhouses
today. Eventually, he flew outside, rather by accident, we think and she
spent some time going back and forth, watching him, as if to tell him
how hopeless he is!

Round here we have the odd hazel with catkins showing yellow but most
are holding tight and closed,
There are about 6 blackbirds squabbling over territory or something and
making a hell of a racket, of course they could be fighting over a small
dry patch that someone has found.
David @ a still very wet side of Swansea Bay.