Old 19-01-2014, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Early primroses?

On 2014-01-17 13:36:23 +0000, kay said:

More remarkable is that the hazel catkins are already open. The male
ones, that is - the female flowers aren't so much in
evidence.

Yes, I've seen a few of those about, too. What will happen about
pollenation, I wonder,or is it windborne in their case?

Wind pollination. That's what catkins are designed for - dangly, easily
blown in wind, copious easily released pollen. The female hazel flowers
consist entirely of sticky stigma-lobes - no need for petals to attract
pollinators.[/i][/color]

Thanks, Kay. I rather thought that must be the case though I do wonder
what pollinates e.g. Sarcococca, which is flowering like crazy here.
I've seen bumble bees on the Lonicera purpusii on sunny days in winter
but not on the Sarcococcas.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com