Old 20-01-2014, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] wardjfb@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Removing moss from tarmac

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:45:50 PM UTC, Larry Stoter wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

On 18/01/2014 07:04, Larry Stoter wrote:

Roger Tonkin wrote:

Our house faces north, and as such the tarmac drive

gets no sun at all and is quite damp.

I've tried over the years removing the moss that grows

by scraping it off with a spade and blasting it off

with a power hose. Neither of which work really

successfully and are starting to damage the tarmac.

So it looks as if it must be a chemical attack, but

what with? I,m hoping to get to a garden centre next

week, so I'd like some idea of what has worked and

what to avoid if possible.

Many thanks

Have a go with coca-cola - seriously.

Full strength coke is a good, cheap and easily obtainable cleaning

agent. Personally, I've used it for removing oil stains from concrete

which it does very effectively.

You mean motor oil? That would be amazing given all the expensive

products which don't work very well IME

Yes, motor oil, where a car has been standing and leaking oil.

Large bottle of coke, stiff brush and some newspaper. Poor some coke on

to the concrete and work the stiff brush in circles. Doesn't need to be

particularly hard or vigorous. The idea is to get the coke into all the

cracks. Keep the surface wet with fresh coke as necessary. After 5 mins

or so, soak all the liquid up with the newspaper.

Depending on how old the stains are, you'll need to reapeat several

times. When I've tried it, the oil stains where about 2 years old and 3

applications got rid of most of the stain.

Larry

I believe some US police forces use it to clear up blood after accidents.

Jonathan