Old 21-01-2014, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default The season has started.

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:44:54 -0500, Derald wrote:

The Cook wrote:

As far as I remember, the cold here has never killed the garlic. It's
just that 20°F is miserably cold. The garlic was planted in last
October and is about 6" tall.

Thanks. I'll not cover mine unless some of its companions need
protection. I did not plant garlic until the end of November, after the
weather began to cool a bit. It already is over 2' tall, on average.
One bed is interplanted with mustard and turnips and another with a
variety of cool weather veggies.

I buy garlic from Costco and use the largest cloves for planting.

I bought garlic from a Texas grower for a while but his 2012 crop
failure caused me to shop around for another vendor as well as for a
variety better suited to the warm humid Gulf coast climate. Settled on
a grower in Arizona (warm but definitely not humid) and hope to produce
starts of my own that might be better suited to this environment. Down
here, the sudden onset of unrelenting hot weather in April or May causes
garlic heads to divide before they're fully mature but the Creoles came
to North Amereica via the Caribbean and Mexico and are, reputedly,
better suited to peninsular Florida's warm winters and short cool
season. We'll see....

The Cook wrote:

If it gets warm enough one afternoon soon I will get out and prune off all of the dead
branches on the herbs. Maybe I will keep some of the leaves. Should
be the same as drying them.

snip

I just dumped them into a container that will go to the compost box.

Probably a good move :-). I just grow the frost-tender stuff in
containers small enough to move into shelter. I expend more effort
protecting sweet marjoram, thyme, oregano and tarragon from the harsh
sun and from too much rain than from cold. I'm some distance south of
the "official" ranges for those but they do well in open shade with only
morning sun so I move them around as the seasons progress.

Win 7 is not as easy to deal with as Win XP was.

Good to know. I "upgrade" only when software and/or web sites that
I "need" no longer function. I'm still running Win2k on one box and
WinXP on another. Will keep an obsolete O/S at least one because the
graphics app I mentioned is a ca 1990's port from Mac to 16-bit Window$
and, AFAIK, new "improved" Windows won't run 16-bit programs.

I can no longer run my Spider game. It is a 16 bit program too. There
seems to be some way to set things up if you are running Win 7 Pro.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills