Old 21-01-2014, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default The season has started.

Billy wrote:
songbird wrote:

garlic here is under 1ft of snow/ice. the bunnies are
running around making tracks in the snow. i have yet to
see any sign that the owls/hawks are doing the honors for
me so i may have to hunt them come spring.

The permaculture books I've read says that at some point the predators
will become aware of the easy pickin's you got, and balance will return
to Happy Valley. ;O)

i'm hoping it will start happening soon as the
management is agitating to get me to shoot them
every time she sees one (and we have at least four
of them around, probably more than six or eight).

the general problem with our site is that it is
too busy (obstacles) for flying predators to get
an easy strike and the only other predators than
the hawks/owls/eagles is likely to be the semi-
feral cats from the neighbors place. far enough
away from there that the cats do not make regular
appearances (but they do come through once in a
while during the warmer weather as i see them and
their tracks and sometimes i even see them hunting
chipmunks or ...). there are tracks out there now
in the snow from cat too, but nothing that looks
like they actually made rabbit dinner.

i was really hoping the red tail hawk that
visited last summer would become a regular. since
then i've only seen a bird that might have been it
once in the north hedge/treeline.

there are coyotes that run along the river but
i've never seen them here. also there are red fox
about, but i've never seen them here. the surrounding
farm fields isolate us somewhat from the woods down
the road and the road itself takes a toll on many
wild life critters (free fertilizer if i notice them
before the turkey vultures or crows get them).

we'll see what happens...

songbird