Old 22-01-2014, 04:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default The season has started.

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
Here the day time temps are in the high 60s F to low 70s F. Night time
temps running around 27 to 31 F. We have had 2" of rain to date. Last
year it was 22". Presently, there is no rain in sight.

that would make for some tough gardening.

http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20140108/news/140109698#page=0

Looking like it will be near impossible to grow a garden this year, if
we don't get some rain soon.

where do you get your liquid gold (water)?

i thought that things were getting better this year,
but it looks like most of the rains/flooding and heavy
snows have been in the Rockies. indirectly this
benefits where you are at via the Colorado River feed
to California. not as dire as it could be, but i do
think it a very responsible move for the govenor to
declare the water emergency.

i've not seen any actual updates on the affects of
the floods yet on the resevoirs. i do recall a bit
ago asking my sister (who is out in NM and southern CO)
if things were ok for water this year with their
resevoirs and she said they were doing ok as compared
to last year. when she visited this past fall for a
bit we did talk about water out there and she said that
there were ponds/lakes in places that she had never
seen before because of that big storm they had that
caused those floods. a help to recharge the ground
water/aquifers. she's been out there a long time
(30yrs at least).

songbird

Unfortunately, the Colorado River water is partitioned between 8 states.
Usually none of it reaches Mexico to quench the thirst of Mexicans, or
to flush out the Gulf of California.

About 60% of the water in the lower Colorado (7.5 million acre·ft/year)
water goes to California for agriculture in the Mojave Desert, and for
tap water for the inhabitants of Southern California. I'm unaware of any
of it finding its way to Northern California, or California's Central
Valley.

The Central Valley, and Northern California rely on a melting snow pack
to feed our rivers which provide our water. Water diverted from the Eel
River for hydro-electric power provides most of the water in the Russian
Rivers, which in turn services the coastal counties of Mendocino,
Sonoma, and Marin (North Bay). San Francisco receives its water from The
Hetch Hetchy Project which transports Tuolumne River water 156 miles
from the Central Sierra to San Francisco and peninsula cities (South
Bay).

Local cities are taking up the question of water rationing, which was on
the to do list at the Healdsburg City council tonight.

At present, there is no rain in our future. February and March are
usually our wettest months (but not last year).

The silver-lining is that there should be fewer mosquitos this year.

http://www.dw.de/industry-non-profit...ow-to-increase
-food-production/a-17373112

Global population growth has shot up precipitously in the past 200
years. In 1800, around one billion people lived on the planet.
Currently, Earth is populated by seven billion people, with that number
expected to rise to nine billion by 2050. All of those people have to be
fed, which confronts society with major policy problems. Already, 850
million people worldwide suffer from hunger and two billion are
malnourished.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/